Crowninshield Island, also known as Brown’s Island by the locals, is a small island off the shore of Marblehead, MA. Crowninshield Island was donated to The Trustees of Reservations (TTOR) in 1955 by Mrs. Francis B. Crowninshield who in the early 20th century had planted trees to improve her view from Peaches Point.
The island had been owned by the Brown family from 1797-1918 but the Crowninshields purchased the island from the Browns for $1 in 1918. In honor of Louise E. du Pont Crowninshield, a historic preservationist who married Francis Boardman Crowninshield, a member of the noted Crowninshield family, it was suggested to call it Crowninshield Island, honoring the pioneer in America’s historic preservation movement from 1925 until her death in 1958.
This island features a sandy beach, interesting shells, salt marsh and many migrating birds that rest and feed along the shore. Accessible by foot via mudflats, Brown’s Island is often a destination for picnic-lovers and trail walkers.
Ruocco Real Estate Group | RE/MAX Advantage | Amy and Bryan Ruocco | 12 Atlantic Ave. | Marblehead, MA 01945