In 1831, the Marblehead townspeople expressed a desire for a lighthouse to be built at the entrance to the harbor. Congress granted the wish and in 1835, the 23 foot high tower was built and housed ten whale oil burning lamps inside an octagonal lantern. In 1857, the oil lamp system was replaced by a sixth order Fresnel lens and reflectors and the deteriorating tower was replaced by a skeletal frame, which is the structure that exists today. In 1948, Chandler Hovey purchased it from the U.S. government and donated it to the town. The 3.74 acre park overlooks the mouth of the harbor and offers benches, picnic tables and pavilions for visitors and locals to access so they can enjoy the views.
Ruocco Real Estate Group | RE/MAX Advantage | Amy and Bryan Ruocco | 12 Atlantic Ave. | Marblehead, MA 01945